How to decide your next hardware purchase
When purchasing new hardware, or considering new software, there are a range of considerations.
The following guides provide considerations when buying new hardware:
If you haven't already, we recommend you develop a digital asset register to keep track of what you have and budget for a sensible replacement cycle.
Connecting Up offer a range of discounted and refurbished hardware exclusive to not for profits:
- Refurbished desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile phones
- New desktops and laptops - we particularly like:
Cyber security software
Connecting Up offer a range of discounted user device management, network threat detection & alerts and information classification & security products to support your hardware:
If this is new to you, or exploring why these products are vital to your cyber security, this guide discusses this further - Why cyber security is so important
Telephony, internet & video conferencing discounted products
Staff now have access to hardware, but now the next step will be to improve their collaboration and communiation needs.
Online hosting platforms have been vital during the transition to work remotely, there is a guide to provide more information about enabling remote working in your workplace. Connecting Up have supported nonprofits by providing Zoom, MS Teams (part of the 365 platfrom) and GGL Meet (part of the Workspace platform) discounted software.
Zoom has been the second most popular conferencing tool since the onset of COVID-19, besides the Basic plan, that includes unlimited 40 minute meetings at no cost, licenses can be costly. Connecting Up offer nonprofits a 50% discount to eligible organisations, you can be saving over $1,000 this financial year.
Alongside this, Connecting Up partner Goodtel offers discounted prices for eligible not-for-profit organisations for internet, mobile plans and cloud PBX phone systems.
If you are a smaller NFP looking for a standard telephony solution, we always suggest you start with your internet provider.
Discounted on-premises networks & server hardware
If you manage your on-premise networks, Connecting up offer a range of discounted hardware options for nonprofits. If this is new to you, consider engaging a tech support provider to manage this on your behalf or reach out to Connecting Up and they will be able to help select a suitable product for your needs.
- Microsoft Server software available through the Microsoft donation program: Windows Server Essentials, Standard and User and Device CALs; SQL Server Standard and User and Device CALS; Exchange Server Standard and User CAL; SharePoint Server and User and Device CALs; Dynamics 365 Server (licensed via CALS) for Team Members, Sales and Customer Service.
- Microsoft Office desktop software available through the Microsoft donation program (this software is licensed separately from the Microsoft 365 Cloud program, but also includes Microsoft Office desktop software; if you licence Microsoft Office desktop through the 365 Cloud program, licences must be provisioned through the 365 portal)
- Networking kit, including switches, access points, routers etc.
There’s also a range of other products available – review the entire product range here.
Thanks for rating this guide.